Our network

Metro Investigating Incident that Left Suspect Dead | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Metro Investigating Incident that Left Suspect Dead
News

LAS VEGAS -- Metro Police are investigating whether one its officers did anything wrong in an incident that ended with a home invasion suspect dying.

Last month, police say the suspect, 36-year-old Southaly Ketmany, broke into a man's house near Gilespie Street and Pebble Road.

The homeowner found the suspect sitting his underwear, watching TV and with a butcher knife in his hand. The homeowner says Ketmany threatened to kill him.

Police negotiated with Ketmany for several hours. In the end, SWAT team members entered the home and used low-lethality weapons, including a rubber rounds and a tazer. However, officers say the suspect was able to overcome those weapons. 

According to officers, Ketmany was armed with a knife and a hammer and charged them. Two officers opened fire; however, the Clark County Coroner's office told 8 News NOW Ketmany died of blunt force trauma to the head.

During a news conference on the incident Friday afternoon, Metro Undersheriff Jim Dixon laid out the steps in the investigation.

"This is a fatal and the homicide file will be moved over to the District Attorney's office when it is completed, and then they will make a decision whether or not it is criminal or not criminal, and then they will call for a public fact finding review," Dixon said. "After that is completed, then we will start the board process and make determinations on any level of discipline and/or training that are necessary for those officers involved."

Metro says it is waiting for toxicology reports which could take a while.

News

Green Valley Deals