Our network

Freeze warning issued for central, northeast Clark County | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Freeze warning issued for central, northeast Clark County

LAS VEGAS -- The National Weather Service in Las Vegas has issued a freeze warning for central and northeast Clark County. The watch is in effect from late Sunday night through Monday.

A freeze warning means sub-freezing temperatures are possible and these conditions could kill crops and other sensitive vegetation.

Here are some safety tips for dealing with freezing weather from Las Vegas Fire and Rescue.

Keep anything that can burn, such as clothing, furniture, mattresses and paper products at least three feet away from any heat sources such as furnaces, space heaters, fireplaces, stoves and water heaters.

  • Furnaces: Furnaces (including natural gas/propane or electric) that have not been used for the last several months will have a buildup of dust and dirt on the heating elements, so have your furnace checked by a qualified technician and change the air filter.  When the furnace is used for the first time, this dirt and dust will burn off, causing a burning smell, a very light haze or white smoke. This is not harmful and is common. This is just the residue burning off the elements and it may take several minutes and maybe three or four uses before it all burns away. If the smoke is dark grey or black, and the furnace makes rumbling noises, you should leave the house immediately and call 9-1-1 from a safe location.
  • Fireplace: If you use a fireplace, make sure the damper is open and the chimney flute is clear to allow smoke and gases to escape properly. Only one log should burn at a time. The flame should never go above the lentil, which is the top part of the fireplace on the inside. Discard ashes into a pail of water and let them soak for several hours before discarding. Do not discard ashes in the trash or store them in cardboard boxes or trash bags.  Use solid fuel such as wood or logs bought in stores in fireplaces that are designed for solid fuels. Do not use solid fuels in fireplaces designed for natural gas only.
  • Water Pipes: With freezing temperatures, water pipes may freeze. If a pipe freezes, do not use a torch or any type of flame to thaw the pipe. The sudden increase in temperature will cause the ice to expand quickly and explode.
  • Extension Cords: Do not use extension cords with electric space heaters. Extension cords can overheat and the heat from the extension cord can start combustible items on fire. 
  • Electric Space Heaters: Electric space heaters should be unplugged when not in use and if you leave the home.
  • Barbecues: Barbecues should not be used as heating devices, but they have been found in a number of Las Vegas homes in the past. Although they give off heat, they also produce lethal amounts of carbon monoxide gas that can overcome occupants inside a building with no warning.

It's also a good idea to change the air filter once every 30 days because if they clog with dirt and dust, the furnace will pull fresh air down the chimney, which is also full of carbon monoxide gas, and this can be deadly.

When you're getting ready to leave the house, do not let your car run in the garage to heat up.  Instead, open the garage door, and move your car out of the garage, and then you can let your car warm up.  Las Vegas Fire officials said even with the garage door open, lethal levels of carbon monoxide from the exhaust pipe can seep into the home, that's why it's important to move the car out of the garage while letting your car warm up.

Officials also said, never run an electric generator or other fossil fuel appliance in the home, including in the garage because these devices produce a deadly carbon monoxide gas.

And when you finally hit the road, be aware of any moisture on the roadways, especially at night. Water from lawn sprinklers on the road at night can freeze, causing the roadway or sidewalks to be icy. 

Remember bridges and underpasses freeze faster than regular road surfaces. Even the smallest amount of moisture can cause the road surface to be hazardous.


Green Valley Deals